Pag 1 di 4 123 ... UltimaUltima
Risultati da 1 a 25 di 87
    Moloch
    ospite

Predefinito Il miglior gioco di sempre

Okay.
    …okay.
    I’m going to explain, right now, why a Russian FPS/RPG called Pathologic is the single best and most important game that you’ve never played.

This isn’t the first time I’ve tried, mind you. There are a half-dozen half-finished Word documents on my laptop, all of them abandoned at some point because I felt like I was failing to express myself. I mean, there’s a lot at stake here. My devotion to Pathologic is such that I’ve had a symbol from the game tattooed on my back, a big ol’ ugly thing that’s meaningless to anyone who hasn’t played the game. Far more significantly, Pathologic kept me closeted away in my room for tens of hours during University Fresher’s Week. Fresher’s Week! The one beautiful week in a boy’s life where seduction can be as simple as walking into a bar and SNEEZING on a girl.
    But enough is enough. The more I procrastinate about writing this, the hazier my memory will be and the less I’ll do the game justice. So here I go.
    This article will be in three parts. The first will outline the body of the game. The second part will touch on the mind, and we’ll finish with the soul.
    Which is a bit pretentious, but it can’t be helped, as it’s the only way to show you what this game showed me. Chances are you only know how to take from games. Truth is, the real fun only starts when you let part of yourself be given away.
    You ready? I’m not ready. Okay let’s do this.

Butchering Pathologic
    Part I: The Body

Pathologic is a game about disease.
    The game begins with three healers arriving in a town, a backwards settlement built on a meat industry out in the barren earth of the Russian steppes. The year is… about 1910, maybe. The three healers do not know each other, and arrive in town via different paths and come for different reasons. One of the healers is a dashing doctor from the city, another is a musclebound shamanistic figure. The last is a tiny girl with fearsome messianical powers. They are the Bachelor, the Haruspicus and the Devotress. They’re also your playable characters.
    But things are wrong. The moment the three healers arrive a terrible, merciless infection breaks out. Soon thousands of residents have fallen ill, with hundreds more dying each day. As the town is isolated and, eventually, quarantined, the healers are trapped, forced to win the fight against the disease or succumb to the infection themselves. And make no mistake, if no one stops this plague it will wipe the town off the face of the Earth like so much rambling on a blackboard.
    And that’s the set-up.
    As much as this is already a stunningly unique basis for a game, Pathologic complicates things a little further.
    First, the three characters do not work together. Each of them is given their own distinct narrative and has their own story to tell. As much as it’d make sense for them to pool their knowledge and resources, the atmosphere in the town is chaotic. Few people trust the Bachelor and his bizarre microscope, the Haruspicus starts the game wanted for a murder he didn’t commit (and later for murders he most definitely did), and no one can decide if the Devotress is an angel or a demon. Some people even think she is, in fact, two people. But we’re getting ahead of ourselves there.

So, each of the characters ends up making different alliances with different important figures, and each character gets different opportunities and jobs each day as a result. Each of them therefore sees a very different side of the story. The two characters you choose not to play are still present in your game, however, and go about their business and can be talked to if you get the chance.
    Now this is interesting for a few reasons. To start with, it gives the game incredible freedom in which to tell its story, because it can now use narrative techniques which are normally off limits.
    Kieron’s talked before about how Deus Ex is one of the few games ever to have characters who actually lie to you. Not huge, pantomime deceptions, but little half-truths and tricks delivered deadpan by those you consider to be your friends, sometimes there to trip you up and hurt you, sometimes there for no reason other than it makes sense in the context of the plot. Lies are difficult to employ as a developer because a game always needs closure, so you have to make sure the player walks away understanding who lied and why. It’s arguable that Deus Ex only had the sizeable balls required to try it because of its thickly conspiratorial setting.
    By contrast, in Pathologic absolutely everybody has an angle, everyone’s bending the truth and trying to twist you round their fingers, and the developers can do this because they have two whole other narratives to explain why.
    For example, as the Bachelor you might hear that meat baron Big Vlad is setting a trap for the Haruspicus, because the shaman was seen cutting open one of his cows last night. As the Haruspicus you’ll get thrown in jail and eventually escape, but you’ll never find out why you were imprisoned. That brings with it feelings of confusion, betrayal and dread.
    And this is the other reason the tri-character narrative is interesting. It makes the world seem that much less contrived. In Pathologic people don’t always answer your questions, and mysteries go unsolved. This actually ties in with the central concept of disease, which is at its heart a battle against ignorance- once the disease is understood, it can be cured, after all. And just as it’s the combined and separated actions of the three characters that ultimately cure the disease (rather than any one of them saving the day) it’s only in completing the game three times that you’ll truly understand what’s going on.
    (Not that you’ll ever have the tenacity to complete the game more than once. And not that that matters. More on that particular juicy contradiction in parts 2 and 3.)

So what we’ve got here is not only a game with a bizarre, intriguing plot, but one that guards that plot fiercely. It’s refreshing- more and more these days we’re seeing games sold on the time and money poured into their script. In Pathologic this ambitious, complex plot with dozens of uniquely human character is almost glossed over. Like Planescape: Torment the plot is just there, as if these games came from an alternate universe where sturdy stories were taken for granted in games.
    Moving on, it’s not just the narrative architecture that toys with you, simultaneously beckoning you and pushing you away- the town’s architecture does it too.
    As you’re scrambling from one location to the next there are a few buildings in which aren’t going to escape your attention. First, there’s the Abattoir. Visible on your map as a huge, tumour-like hill on an otherwise flat landscape, the Abattoir is where the town’s meat… comes from. A simple pulley system runs from out of a hole in the hill all the way to the train yard, loaded with hundreds of huge hemp sacks, all of them sticky with blood, sagging down near the ground on their way to the trains. But the Abattoir’s been shut down since the outbreak. The doors have been locked with the workers still inside, and the sacks of meat hanging off the pulley system are left rotting in mid-air.
    Then there’s the Aviary. A terrifying monsterpiece of a building, the Aviary is a gargantuan rectangular concrete block with narrow vertical slits for windows. This is where the town keeps its inexplicably large population of madmen. It’s also where the town gets rid of most of its dead. Bodies are dumped into holes at the base of the Aviary, where they’re dragged away and somehow made use of by the Aviary’s inhabitants. Again, this building has been sealed off since the outbreak, the inhabitants still inside.
    Finally on the other side of town you have the Polyhedron. Built by the town’s resident prodigal architect, the Polyhedron is a mammoth angular structure resembling an Escher-like interpretation of a conch seashell stuck into the ground by the pointy end. The physics of it are impossible. The town’s children have recently commandeered it, keeping the door locked to everyone except other children.
    A lot of people are aware of the game design trick where you show the player something they can’t access at the beginning of the game, so it sticks in the back of their mind until eventually you grace them with the ability to go back and get it. These buildings in Pathologic take that idea and run with it, sprint with it, go skydiving with it. For most of the game these structures are brooding over you, their contents a dark mystery, and half of everything you learn about the town relates to them in some way.
    For instance, you hear that the meat-men inside the Abattoir think of themselves as an animal brotherhood. And you hear that inmates have been wrenching themselves out of the Aviary’s windows, trying to escape something inside. You hear the smaller children of the Polyhedron have been sent out into the town to gather powders and pills for the big kids. These black rumours are endless, and the more you hear the more fascinating AND terrifying these buildings become. Yet as much as you don’t want to go inside them, the fact that you can’t enter them anyway makes them oh so intriguing. Ain’t human nature a bitch.
    The kicker is that because of that three-character narrative it’s never even a sure thing that you’ll have the chance to go inside them. As far as your character’s concerned, each one might stay a mystery forever.
    You’ve never felt foreboding like it. Any student of horror will tell you that there’s nothing more horrible than what only exists in the audience’ mind. Pathologic has you building up your own unthinkable mental picture of what takes place inside these buildings for almost the whole game.
    And Christ, it’s a game that can back up its threats.
    Pathologic has the cruelest survival mechanics I’ve ever encountered in a videogame. As well as taking care of your physical health, you’ve got to deal with hunger, thirst, exhaustion, infection and reputation.
    But- and this is absolutely key- survival within Pathologic does not bend to you, just as the story doesn’t bend to you. This rigidity is perhaps what marks it out as a uniquely Russian videogame. Just as survival in real life is merely something you have to do in order to achieve your goals, so it is in Pathologic. You will not get paid money when you carry out the whims of the town’s leaders. There will not be a health pack hidden behind the thug. You will not find a loaf of bread at the back of the cave. You’ll find a stone wall at the back of the cave, because it’s a fucking cave.
    Instead, survival is its own entirely separate entity. To keep up a stash of supplies you have to learn to master the town’s nightmare economy. Example: giving a child a cutthroat razor in exchange for stolen jewelery, trading these jewels in at a grocers for a heel of bread. Another example: recovering empty bottles from bins, filling them with water at the well and giving them to hungover drunks in exchange for bandages.
    On my first runthrough of the game I was impossibly relieved when I got given a revolver and six bullets, because it was the solution to my impending starvation. I took it straight to the nearest corner store and swapped it for a bottle of milk and a can of vegetables. The next day food doubled in price.
    I don’t want to dwell on the survival, but the brilliance of this cannot be overstated. If there’s another FPS this decade that has you eagerly swapping your only gun for milk, I’ll gladly disappear up my own asshole.

So the structure of Pathologic has you playing two separate games. Carrying out the jobs, missions and inquiries that may or may not help you fight the disease, and simply surviving.
    What pushes this combination to fever pitch is a few things. First, the survival is hard. It’s easy to get yourself into a situation where poverty or disease will be the end of you, and if you fail to buy more and more serious weaponry and protective clothing (both of which degrade with use anyway) as the town’s situation becomes more dire, then you might find that the only way out is restarting the game. This means that survival can never truly leave your mind. Your own safety can never be an afterthought. Second, you’re working under a time limit. Every day brings its own deaths, problems, occurrences and tasks, and plot threads vanish as the next day begins. There’s always the option to trade some of your equipment for coffee beans and chew your way through the night, but (just like in real life!) it’s never a good idea.
    BUT, and this is another one of those individual aspects of Pathologic which makes me want to scream from the rooftops, if you leave a day’s missions unfinished the game keeps going. You could easily spend a day just stockpiling equipment, but then the survival of the town slips that much further through your fingers.
    If you think all this sounds Hellish, you’re dead right. If you think this doesn’t sound fun… you might be right. Certainly there’s a lot here that’s interesting, but you might be doubtful as to whether it makes a good game.
    What you have to realise is that, disparate and cruel as all these game mechanics are, they’re all pulling in the same direction. They try and foster something in a player that no other game I’ve played has ever dared to deliberately go near.
    Next, we talk about the Mind of Pathologic.
    Are you tired? Take a rest. Go sit in the sunshine for a time. There’s gonna be no light where we’re going.

Shogun Assoluto

Predefinito Re: Il miglior gioco di sempre

volevo giocarci anni fa

ma poi sarei diventato autistico

Moloch
    ospite

In a single word, Pathologic is dark. And not “we’re going to make our sequel a darker, more adult experience” dark. Not ‘teen angst’ dark. Pathologic is an endlessly bleak game with an atmosphere that smothers all hope. It’s ‘pensioner breaking a leg in his bedsit and no one finding out until the smell starts to get unbearable’ dark.

Even before the disease breaks out the town is a terrible, ungodly place. It’s ugly, completely isolated and ruled in triumvirate by three squabbling families (one industrial, one bourgeois, one intellectual, all of them hungry for power but none of them strong enough to take it). Children are everywhere but none of them can claim any parents, and at night the streets are ruled by furious drunks. The graveyard is maintained by a penniless blind girl who can do nothing to stop endless grave robberies. It’s pretty much a stretch to even call it a town- it’s a Nick Cave ballad brought to unlife in hideous 3D.
    And yet as distant as morals seem to be, Pathologic still manages to feel like the most impossibly vibrant battle of good versus evil as you defend this wretched place, simply because of the sheer horror of your antagonist. The plague hungers, spreads and finally devours, shattering lives with no purpose other than to grow. There can be no moral qualms in what you’re doing, only in how you do it.
    Ultimately, every obstacle you face in the game is caused by the virus. Everything from gaining entrance into quarantined buildings, to searching for food, to scrapping with rats and militiamen and crazed, infected townspeople. As terrible as life was before the epidemic, it was was life nonetheless. It was human. By contrast, there’s something unholy about the disease. It defies classification by the Bachelor’s science, and it shrugs off the Haruspicus’ concoctions. It even slips away from the Devotress’ healing hands. And there’s something else about it that’s even worse than any of this- but we’ll talk about that in part 3.

Now, when you first end a day in Pathologic a message comes up on screen. It tells you, in simple, silent text, how many have died in the village and how many are infected. It also says that there are eleven days left, and it’s not lying. When you open your journal you can clearly see twelve tabs, one for each day. The game ceaselessly reminds you of its own span.
    Now, to begin with this is comforting. It’s just a way of reminding you that this nightmare will be over in a couple of weeks. Then the death tolls start racking up into the hundreds, the thousands, and you witness the sickness and you try and understand it but it only ever becomes more inexplicable and incomprehensible. Everything it does defies explanation.
    Then, on one tired night midway through the game as your character staggers to bed, you find yourself thinking. The message comes up again, exactly as it does every night. But this time, you start to wonder what that message actually means.
    “After seven days, the game ends.”
    After seven days, it ends.
    What ends?
    This nightmare is over.
    What ends?
    Maybe the town ends.
    Or maybe you end.
    And then you start wondering if the disease can be beaten at all. And you start wondering if the town deserves it. There’s definitely something very final about the plague. As it spreads unchecked it seems to devour more than just life. As you search for the answers you need to beat this sickness, the sickness seems to be eating the very civilization from the town.

And this is another beautiful aspect of Pathologic- the town, your environment, shifts from day to day. Warren Spector’s said in interviews that he’d love to set an entire game in one small, wonderfully realised space. Pathologic’s town makes you realise the potential of that idea.
    On the first day the town is something of a blank slate. The first changes to appear are the zoned off, infected areas where all hope is lost. In these areas the disease is rife, the houses are boarded up and infested with looters, the streets are choked in miasmas and smoke and the dying claw at you for salvation. These areas shift in location from day to day, and have an enormous effect on your actions. Simply traversing them is both a heartache and a risk, and without a weapon and good protective equipment (galoshes, gloves, heavy cloak) you’re going to need bandages, medicine and painkillers for yourself when you emerge out of the other side. Course, you need those same medical supplies to ease the pain of those dying in the zones, which is one of the only ways you can keep your reputation up. Decisions, decisions.
    By day five, just as these dead zones are poised to engulf the town, you wake up to find that many previously civilized districts have exploded into full-blown anarchy, their streets full of terrified men hurling molotov cocktails at anyone who approaches. With another seven days to go, you get to wondering how on earth the town’s going to survive for another week.
    The army arrive the next day. Steely Russian soldiers with flamethrowers and rifles, they set up roadblocks and mercilessly gun down the wandering sick. As well as changing the feel of the town, you’ve got to remember that these developments all completely throw the black market economy you’ve learned to manipulate.
    There’s another shift in the town a few days later when the government ‘Inquisitor’ arrives. Setting up an office in the church, the Inquisitor puts the army on a leash, orders the construction of gallows and calls for the town’s leader to be put on trial for allowing civilisation to collapse. And all this happens while the disease pushes on, and on, the noose of the law tightening around your neck at a time when you need more freedom to conduct your research than ever. That’s probably a political statement, come to think of it- the Inquisitor calling a halt to everything in the name of justice as the town continues its malignant disintegration.
    This organic environment makes sense in the context of the rest of the game, if you think about it. For a game about death to have any gravitas, you’re going to have to have a world that feels like it’s alive.

So, what we’ve got here is an awful, cold, beautifully Russian story in perfect keeping the grim game mechanics themselves of raging against the disease while trying to keep yourself alive. So far, so coherent. What we haven’t talked about yet is the finer points of the setting that aid this idea even further. The kind of gorgeous details in art direction and character design that can only come about when everyone on a games development team is sharing one vision.
    The most obvious of these details is Pathologic’s colour palette, a thin wash of lifeless browns and grays. The most subversive of the details is the music, a relentless, natural-industrial track which never stops breathing down your neck and changes from area to area. The most effective of these details is the children. Pathologic’s intro cinematic is three kids holding a mock funeral for a tattered stuffed animal. It’s got nothing to do with anything, but it does kind of set the tone for the whole game. The children of Pathologic are everywhere, and, as I mentioned above, they’re largely abandoned.
    Now obviously having kids everywhere is going to be a constant reminder of why you’re trying to fight the disease, but the kids represent more than that. The lack of parents has left the kids to form a microcosm within the town, and they’re ignoring the stupid grown-ups and engaging in their very own politics and battles.
    We’re talking Lord of the Flies here. The kids are divided broadly into three main gangs (it’s always three with this game; not sure why). There are the kids ruled by Notkin, a tall, tough, charismatic kid, and they live in an abandoned warehouse in the industrial district. Then there are the kids that make their home in the Polyhedron, and finally there are the Dog Heads. The Dog Heads can and will scare the piss right out of you when you first see them. They’re a rough and tumble gang who wear the stitched heads of stuffed dogs over their own heads.
    The kids are also just as vulnerable as everyone else in the game. While they will try and run from fights, they can still be killed in crossfire and there’s nothing stopping you from even stabbing or shooting them and taking their possessions. And these kids, these vicious little murderers, often carry medicine.
    If nothing else this puts Bioshock’s laughable Little Sister moral decision into perspective. No Big Daddies here. Not even any regular daddies. Just you, you with your quest to save the whole town, and defenseless kids wandering through dark alleys, carrying the pills that’ll alleviate your crippling fever. And to think, Bioshock even had the outright gall to pick one of the options of its solitary ethical decision as the ‘right’ one.
    So again, the kids are a side to Pathologic’s design which is at once singularly human and completely brutal. We can put that alongside the narrative, the plot, the setting and the game mechanics.
    All this adds up to something.

A couple of years ago I had an argument with a friend, one of those differences of opinion that leaves you fuming and coming up with witty ripostes for days afterwards. I was saying that a good game doesn’t have to be fun. She was saying that was ridiculous.
    My argument, though I botched my explanation at the time, is that games have incredible untapped potential in the field of negative emotions. Just as the lowest common denominator of any art form appeals to ‘positive’ emotions, whether it’s humour, arousal or excitement, so it is that our young games industry is obsessed with the idea of ‘fun’.
    I think this is one of the core reasons that the games industry hasn’t had its Casablanca or Citizen Kane- we’re still in the era of musicals and slapstick comedy. No games developer’s going to try and make its audience feel sad, or lonely, or pathetic, at least not for long stretches. You might get games that dip their toes into that water from time to time, but by and large developers are keen to keep you smiling.
    But that debate is just a big, ugly thorn bush that I’ve run through too many times already with nothing to show for it. The point is that Pathologic fearlessly wields desperation, brutality, hopelessness, exhaustion, cruelty, even ignorance and pain, and, if you can stomach it, the result is phenomenal.
    Pathologic could not ever be described as fun. Tramping back and forth across town, trying to stem the torrent of deaths while aching to know what’s going on /is not fun./ This is not a game. There isn’t a word for it really, which is probably why the developers, Ice-pick Lodge, call Pathologic “an exercise in decision making” on their translated English website.
    There’s a good chance I’m losing you here. Let me use a couple of lovely, colourful examples to illustrate the kind of power Pathologic has.

I played through the game at the same time as a friend. He chose the Bachelor, and I was the Haruspicus. Because we played at the same rate, we had the chance to discuss developments in the plot each day. This went wrong fast.
    “WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?” he asked me after we’d both finished day three.
    It took me a few seconds to figure out he was referring to the Haruspicus. In his game he’d been sent to investigate a body of one of the infected citizens that had been sliced open and left in the street, and his investigation ended up pointing to me as the perpetrator. But there was no evidence as to why I’d done it. Whereas in my game, yeah, I’d snuck up on a doomed man and cut him open, but I knew it was justified. For thousands of years the Haruspicus had held the right to open the dead in situations like this; what I’d done was the most natural thing in the world. To try and save the thousands of men, women and children in the town who were at risk, I’d brought one death on just a couple of days early. Sue me.
    “I needed to see the infected organs” I told my friend, realising as I typed that this defense probably wouldn’t hold up in court.
    We bickered for a while, each of us oddly firm in the beliefs of our own characters. He called me a murderer, and I called him pathetic. We left it at that.
    When I was playing the game the next day I ended up going to a meeting with the Bachelor. The NPC called me a murderer, and our characters bickered. He wanted nothing to do with me. He said that, as doctors, we could never be justified in killing people.
    Goosebumps!

But this happened all the time. My favourite was on day 9, some 20 hours into the game, when the same friend started talking about how he couldn’t play on for much longer. He said that if things didn’t resolve themselves soon he’d give up. He was so tired, he said.
    The next day my character went to see the Bachelor to discuss some findings, and I found a man overcome with exhaustion. The Bachelor said that if we couldn’t discover the truth about this disease soon he was going to shoot himself rather than let the illness kill him.
    This is what Pathologic does. It creates an interesting, desperate situation and brooks no compromise in letting you experience it. And in unflinchingly making you suffer, you identify with these characters you control to the point of becoming them.
    So, Pathologic is a grand experiment in characterisation. It’s as daring and unique as one of those 15 minute indie games that everyone raves about (and rightly so!), only blown up into a 40 hour epic. Considering everyone’s always talking about how wonderful it’d be if those same indie developers could get a team and a budget, that makes Pathologic quite the achievement.
    Of course, Ice-Pick Lodge happened to be a little more ambitious than that. They had to think bigger. After drawing up this blueprint for a brazenly intellectual game that covered all this new ground in so many different directions, they still wanted more.
    Specifically, I think they wanted to be art. And Hell if they didn’t pull out all the stops and end up putting together one of the most staggering reveals in gaming history.

Moloch
    ospite

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da Fulviuz Visualizza Messaggio
    volevo giocarci anni fa

ma poi sarei diventato autistico
    The point is that Pathologic fearlessly wields desperation, brutality, hopelessness, exhaustion, cruelty, even ignorance and pain, and, if you can stomach it, the result is phenomenal.
    Pathologic could not ever be described as fun. Tramping back and forth across town, trying to stem the torrent of deaths while aching to know what’s going on /is not fun./ This is not a game. There isn’t a word for it really, which is probably why the developers, Ice-pick Lodge, call Pathologic “an exercise in decision making” on their translated English website.

Moloch
    ospite

There are two themes that run through Pathologic like a couple of sharks lurking in a swimming pool. By themes I mean something that’s vital to the vision of the game yet is detached from the structure of the game proper- something like Half-Life 2′s Orwellian influence, or Beyond Good and Evil’s cartoon imagery. In the case of Half-Life 2, there’s nothing about City 17′s hi-tech tyranny that directly affects your running and gunning. Likewise in Beyond Good and Evil the fact that your hovercraft is repaired by walruses doesn’t make a difference when you’ve got a puzzle in front of you.
    In the case of Pathologic, the two themes are meat and theater. And at least to my mind, they’re what propel the game from being interesting and brave to being beautiful. It’s an ugly, ugly beauty though.

The game’s obsession with the theatrical is what you encounter first. After selecting New Game you first find yourself up in the dress circle of an empty theater, looking down at the stage. On it are the three healers, and they play out a short scene for you where they argue fiercely over which of them has the potential to save the town. The house lights then dim, and the actors fall silent. There’s nothing for you to do but make your way to the doorway that leads down from the stalls, and it’s only when you go through that door that you’re finally faced with the character selection screen. Oh, yes.
    Subsequently, when you start playing the game proper it’s difficult to see yourself as anything other than an actor fretting upon a stage. This is in a large part down to the Executors.

The easiest way to describe the Executors is as the game’s stage hands, or maybe directors. They’re six feet tall, and all you can ever see of them is a floor-length cloak and a huge raven mask. Everyone in town can see them yet no one ever questions their existence, so neither do you. The first time you meet one they’ll calmly explains the rules of the game to you, but from then on all they do is watch events unfold like curious narrators. And while you never see them move, they still take on a terrible dark weight because as time goes on you start to think of them as the city’s death-dealers. You learn to dread them because the first sign of any significant character falling ill or dying is an Executor standing outside their door. It’s not long before you start wondering if that raven head is even a mask at all.
    And this is, by the way, what happens when you fail to complete a day’s quests. A relevant NPC who may be vital in future quests has an Executor posted outside their house who bars your entry. It’s all the more disastrous because it’s always your allies who fall. I think the Executors’ exact words are along the lines of “These people must die because of you, because these are the only people who would die for you”.
    But all these dramatic devices feel a little unfinished and fluffy. Yeah, there are optional vignettes played out at the town’s theater every night, and there are the abstract mime creatures that make appearances as supernatural messengers, and it all adds colour to the game while still letting it remain a suitable shade of dark brown. But I’m pretty sure these fourth-wall breaking theatrics were only meant as some kind of failsafe to ensure the player knows just how dramatic the game is. I’m only really writing about them here to give you a better sense of Pathologic’s mad ambition.
    Or maybe I’m being unfair. It’s hard to tell, because Pathologic’s wussy thespianism pales in comparison to its meat story. Oh, man. Let me tell you the meat story.

The town you’re trying to save isn’t built on hot slaughter, or cold execution, but something in between. It’s built on the lukewarm killing of perceived necessity. The efficient industry of the town’s abattoir seems to leak out onto the streets somehow- gangs of kids, madmen and drunkards all kill unthinkingly with empty heads and scavenged blades. Life feels cheap, a notion not helped by that daily deathtoll in the hundreds or thousands.
    In fact, one of Pathologic’s great secrets is that each of the healers has to resort to inflicting death in order to keep living themselves. Anyone playing the Bachelor is going to find themselves roaming the streets at night with a gun, killing would-be murderers for their valuable possessions. The Devotress can only stay alive by harming more than she heals with her supernatural touch. And I’m probably biased but I think it’s the worst if you play the Haruspicus, like I did.
    As the Haruspicus you get access to your father’s arcane laboratory, a place of dusty scrolls and copper pots hidden in a locked warehouse. Here you can make tinctures and tonics using recipes you can find or buy, but you’re a busy man. You rarely have the time to go on rambles in the countryside beyond the town to harvest roots and herbs, and even when you do it’s a tricky process finding them in the crispy grass. So instead you have to trek out into the marshes and consult with the Worms, strange inhuman nomads who talk in a language that’s already ruined even before it undergoes a cheap translation from Russian to English. The Worms have the plants you need, but they want to ‘water’ the earth with human organs and blood in return. And so, playing as the Haruspicus, you’re often thigh deep in swamp water, your arms are red to the elbows with blood and your pockets run over with stolen human livers.
    It’s another of the game’s bizarre divides. The sole purpose of your character in his or her life, and your sole purpose in the game, is to save lives. Yet the humans in this game are only ever made out to be so much water and gristle. In Pathologic, life is cheap, life is weak, blood is thin, and water is thick.

This de-mystifying of human meat continues with the town’s ancient past, which hints at a worship of bulls. There are references to a horned earth mother, and near the Abattoir there’s a huge sacrificial plinth. But at the same time, this is a town that’s only ever bred these holy bulls and cows for their meat and skin, so the town is eating and selling the same meat that they consider their God. There’s a general blurring of flesh and life here. The town’s river is referred to as the Spine, the main streets are veins and the industrialist’s manor is called the Heart. If you ask for directions from any townsperson they always give them to you in these biological terms. “Go down the neck and through the mind”. And remember earlier, the rumours of dead bodies being disposed of with the madmen in the Aviary. Cannibalism is never mentioned- that would be crude. But the game does play with the notion that we are all one flesh, and that this flesh is cheap.
    Okay. So far, all this is so much surface froth, just like the theatrical side of the game. Where the theme of meat eventually differs is that it ties into the game’s plot. The theater is never anything more than a whimsical idea, but the meat grows deep. The meat story actually comes to a frightening, disgusting conclusion.
    It happens towards the end of the game’s time span, maybe day eight or nine. By this point you’ll have felt out the limits and rules of the game and built yourself a routine. You’ll probably start the day by visiting one of the big kids who, for a price, will mark new infected areas on your map. And you’ll definitely be chatting to everyone you pass on the way, seeing if they’ve got anything you need that they could be persuaded to part with. You’ll probably be gathering up whole armfuls of empty bottles too, and filling them at wells on your way to check up on whoever’s assuming command of the town on that day.
    In theory you should be calm in your own security at this point, but really as a player you’re more tired and sick than ever. For twenty five, maybe thirty hours of game time you’ve been listening to nothing but the lies of the healthy, the moans of the sick and that endless industrial thumping, and it’s been for nothing. Trekking across town and ducking danger has become exhausting, and the longer you play the game the more the illness spreads and bigger the mystery gets.
    Then, for one mission or another, you hit M to bring up your fullscreen map and plan your route. But the game doesn’t give you your map. With all the gentleness of one of those cheap scare websites that make sure they have your attention before flashing something gory and noisy up on the screen, Pathologic instead gives you a primitive anatomical cutaway of a bull, drawn in the same style as your map. It’s the most singularly gut-wrenching moment you can imagine because after it’s done scaring you, you start scaring yourself. You start understanding, and everything clunks (not clicks) slowly into place.

First, you see that those district nicknames actually apply to the parts of the animal. You see the spine, the veins, the heart and the neck, and more besides. You see that the Aviary is the kidneys, the Abattoir is the bowels, the train yard is the genitals.
    At last you understand what the town is, and it’s all the worse because you’re trapped inside it. And because you understand the town, at last you can understand the disease. Your realisation of its true nature happens slowly, like a sun disappearing over the horizon. It’s not the town that’s sick. It’s the earth that’s fallen ill. That’s why the quarantines aren’t working, that’s why the wells are drying up, that’s why the buildings themselves are darkening and rotting and growing great scabs on top of their brickwork.
    All flesh is earth, all earth is flesh.
    As the Haruspicus you eventually get access to the Abattoir. There you find out that whenever a cow is killed, the blood is always drained into the same hungry pit where it slips away into the darkness. You figure out that over thousands of years the blood has pooled beneath the town, and now it’s that same blood that’s become infected. You start siphoning buckets of blood back out, and with this sample of the infection you can finally fall back to your laboratory and start manufacturing a panacea.
    As the Bachelor you talk to the architect who designed the Polyhedron, and you learn what allows the Escher-like structure to stand. The spike at its base pierces deep, deep into the earth, where the bull’s brain is on your map. It’s that wound that’s gotten infected. Your achievement as the Bachelor is in rallying the town to pull down the Polyhedron, which has the side effect of forcing the kids out of it to take the place of the deceased adults.
    Incidentally, the microcosm of kids within the town takes on greater significance once all this has happened. The kids are uncaring of the adults that built the town, the adults are uncaring of the earth bull they live on, the bulls are eaten by the adults, and at the end of the game the deceased adults are replaced by the kids forced to leave the Polyhedron. So it goes.
    As the Devotress I’ve got absolutely no idea what you do. Sorry. She seems to disappear around day 8, and I’m not a big enough masochist to play through this game again as her to find out why. My time with Pathologic is over. And before anyone points this out as a problem with the game, I should point out that on finishing Schindler’s List there’s no great desire to rewind the tape, crack open another beer and watch that sucker again.

So the healers do beat the disease in the end, and they do it by forgetting everything they know and coming to believe in something bigger than themselves. Maybe it’s a message about wisdom, and about not losing sight of your past and your nature as you grow. Or maybe it’s about something else entirely. I think anyone who plays this game to the end is going to come away with a different message, just because it’s thought provoking. There’s no need for it to be conclusive. It’s just an experiment in decision making. It’s just a game.
    An awesome game.
    Back when it was released in Mother Russia, Pathologic was drenched in awards. Game of the Year, in many cases. And yet no one outside its home country has even heard of it. That makes me more upset than if it were a book or movie, because a great book or movie can still be discovered years after release. Games only have a limited lifespan in which to achieve recognition because after that they become outdated, and few people are going to want to go near them. Pathologic’s barely five years old and it’s already almost unplayable, and if you don’t believe that then hunt down a copy and bear witness to your own revulsion at the hideous visuals, the repetition and the slow pace that make it such a great game in the first place.
    In a few more years Pathologic’s going to be permanently lost to time, and I don’t think there’s anything we can do about that. But I think some good can still come of the loss.
    Now you have an idea of what you missed this time around, maybe you’ll help prevent this from happening next time. Maybe next time a game like this comes along we can both grab it, and scream about it in a way that I failed to do at the time. It’s the Internet age now, hype and excitement are easy to spread! We can spread them! I’m sure that together we can save whatever comes next, I know we can. We’ve got to do something. Otherwise we’re all going to be stuck playing Roboman: The Fightening for the rest of our adult lives.

Suprema Borga Imperiale

This de-mystifying of human meat ( mah niggah ) continues with the town’s ancient past, which hints at a worship of bulls.

Puertosol, sei tu ?

Moloch
    ospite

l'unico, piccolo problema è che la traduzione dal russo l'han fatta con google translate

Suprema Borga Imperiale L'avatar di xbrrzt

riassunto?

Moloch
    ospite

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da xbrrzt Visualizza Messaggio
    riassunto?
    il miglior gioco di sempre

secondo me ti piacerebbe

Suprema Borga Imperiale

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da Moloch Visualizza Messaggio
    l'unico, piccolo problema è che la traduzione dal russo l'han fatta con google translate
    avevo notato qualcosa in effetti

Suprema Borga Imperiale L'avatar di EddieTheHead

è spoilerosa sta roba?

Ho letto quasi tutto ma non gli ultimi epzzi..

Moloch
    ospite

la terza parte sì, verso la fine

mi ha fatto morire la conclusione

As the Devotress I’ve got absolutely no idea what you do. Sorry. She seems to disappear around day 8, and I’m not a big enough masochist to play through this game again as her to find out why. My time with Pathologic is over. And before anyone points this out as a problem with the game, I should point out that on finishing Schindler’s List there’s no great desire to rewind the tape, crack open another beer and watch that sucker again.

ma te molocchio l'hai giocato?

Shogun Assoluto L'avatar di magen1

madre de dios, che so sti WoT ?

Moloch
    ospite

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da EddieTheHead Visualizza Messaggio
    ma te molocchio l'hai giocato?

il paragone con schindler's list è più che azzeccato

Banned

tl dr

Moloch
    ospite

è in offerta a 5$ su gog, se no dai corsari & bucanieri

Banned

ci giocai alcuni anni fa, era macchinoso giocarci, ricordo, un po' come cercare di fare l'amore con daydream

Suprema Borga Imperiale

ma è bello almeno?

ma la traduzione è così pessima?

Moloch
    ospite

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da MARMIST Visualizza Messaggio
    ma è bello almeno?
    no è orrendo, mi rendo conto che il titolo può aver forse tratto in inganno i meno attenti

Suprema Borga Imperiale

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da Moloch Visualizza Messaggio
    no è orrendo, mi rendo conto che il titolo può aver forse tratto in inganno i meno attenti
    il titolo, specialmente con il russo tradotto da mio nonno (che comunque ne mastica più di google translate grazie ai mesi che ha passato in loco 70 anni fà) mi aveva fatto capire immediatamente la tua scarsa serietà, ma quando poi hai aggiunto che l'hai giocato, beh...

Moloch
    ospite

Suprema Borga Imperiale

Moloch
    ospite

comunque sì, è bello e vale la pena giuocarvi

Pag 1 di 4 123 ... UltimaUltima

Permessi di Scrittura

• Tu non puoi inviare nuove discussioni