+ Rispondi alla Discussione
Risultati da 1 a 14 di 14
    heXen
    ospite

Predefinito ID Staff - Nuovo membro per la Id Software di Carmack.

Notizia presa da DooM Italia :

Leggetevi questa interessante intervista del sito planetquake4.net al nuovo membro della ID Software Donnie Domino, a.k.a. SyncError. Assunto il mese scorso come membro di collegamento tra la casa di Dallas e la comunità di doomers e di quakers, ha una grande esperienza come netgamer ed è la persona giusta che può far percepire al team di Carmack le opinioni e le considerazioni di tutta la community mondiale.

SyncError is the latest member of the id Software team hired within the last month to serve as id's personal contact inside the community.

To accompany this interview, I have written an article to highlight some of id Software's achievements in their long history of community support.

PlanetQuake4: Please introduce yourself, tell us your official job title, and what your responsibilities include at id Software.

SyncError: My name is Donnie "SyncError" Domino and while everyone here at id holds many jobs, I'm officially the Community Liaison. My job entails interfacing with the community so that id may better understand and address the concerns of players. This includes gathering information about bugs, the demand for new features, and strengthening community awareness of clan and mod team organizations

PlanetQuake4: Tell us the process of how you went about getting the job at id Software?

SyncError: The process was long and quite stressful for me, taking several months to complete. I made several trips from out of state to spend time in interviews and talks, primarily with Marty Stratton, id Software's Director of Business Development. Over the passing months since Quake4's release, id grew concerned over their own lack of connectivity with the community. This was something that greatly bothered them and they knew they needed to resolve. They specifically were looking for someone who could manage several technical fields including maintaining the website, online store, online game servers, resolving technical network, hardware and software issues in the office, while interfacing with the community as to open up that channel of communication where bug fixes could be properly addressed and community feature requests could be gathered and implemented.

My feet happened to fit the many shoes they had me try on. Prior to joining id, I owned my own web hosting & design company, acting as a server admin, web designer and a pc technician. I have been an avid Quake player since QTest was released in Feb '96, having acted as both a highly active player and clan leader in Q1/QW/Q2/Q3 and now Q4. I've played in many leagues, ladders and LAN competitions (all under a different handle with the exception of Winter CPL). While I am a "decent" player I am perhaps more proud of some of my accomplishments as a clan leader, having instructed many players who have gone on to perform well at PGL, CPL and QuakeCon. I was part owner of a LAN Center a few years back, at the time the largest in the nation, that was highly successful and a great experience for me. In addition, my entire family (wife and kids) are all active Quakers, so I have many contacts within the community whether they be from my own participation or my wife's (a former QGirlZ member). Even my daughter has gained somewhat of a following as she won the Fatality shootout (at age 7) at last year's QuakeCon. I can only assume that id appreciated my enthusiasm and dedication to the game over the past decade.

I feel incredibly at home at id, the team has done a wonderful job at welcoming me in. Everyone has been helpful, kind and incredibly open to hearing my opinion, allowing for community requested changes and improvements.

PlanetQuake4: Since the release of the Quake4 1.1 Beta Patch, you have been bombarded with tons of comments and suggestions of what Quake4 should and should not be like. Have you found it hard to decide what ideas should be brought to the coder's desk?

SyncError: The feedback and participation from the community following the Quake 4 1.1 Beta Patch has been outstanding. With the vast majority of the suggestions being valid bug fixes there has been little need to do any sorting. Every suggestion that comes my way is organized into spreadsheets categorizing them as legacy bugs, new 1.1 beta bugs or community requested features. All items on the list are then discussed between myself, the company owners, designers and coders. Only recently this week have we began receiving large demands for features that are still often debated within the community itself. These features must be carefully considered by the community before we can seriously evaluate them.

PlanetQuake4: Who is your superior at id and who are you interfacing with the most when reporting new ideas and bugs that need to be addressed in Quake4?

SyncError: My primary superiors at id are Marty Stratton and Todd Hollenshead. Everyone at id pretty much "interfaces" with everyone else quite often. On any given day I may have several casual meetings with Marty Stratton, Todd Hollenshead, Tim Willits and Jason Kim. I discuss almost all bug reports and new feature ideas with them as well as going the reports with the design and code teams as I receive them. We are in no hurry to potentially destroy the game by throwing in every request and alteration that comes our way. We will however listen with a sincere ear and attempt to address people's concerns in the best manner possible. Everyone at id has been very open to change, but at the same time we will not make hasty decisions.

PlanetQuake4: Will you have any responsibilities related to the planning and organization of QuakeCon 2006?

SyncError: I've been told that the majority of the QuakeCon organization will be handled by myself and Marty Stratton, however, we have not yet had any opportunities to begin such discussions. I hope to begin diving into QuakeCon soon, perhaps after we get the final 1.1 point release or 1.2 patch out the door.

PlanetQuake4: You have been a member of the online QUAKE community of many years now, just recently competing in a Quake4 tournament in Dallas. How excited are you to have the opportunity to be working at id Software and how important do you think it is that id hired someone like yourself that can be their voice in the community?

SyncError: I think the only thing that outweighs my excitement for my newly obtained position would be the need for it. I've been dedicated to expanding the Quake player base as long as I can remember, unfortunately there has never been such a dire need as there is now. Quake over the years has not just had competition from other FPS games, but perhaps even more importantly, has become refined and renowned as a highly competitive product. There has been a shift within the Quake community from a casual FPS game with a "competitive vocal minatory" to a game whose multiplayer field is dominated by competitive players. This shift has made many competition friendly features more important than in previous titles. Such features could never be implemented without close communication with the players to build Quake 4 into the product that everyone desires.

PlanetQuake4: While you are addressing the concerns of hardcore Quakers, does id have any plans that would help Quake4 multiplayer appeal to a broader audience that does not seem to be there for Quake4 at the moment?

SyncError: id Software and other development teams considered "Friends of id" have been hard at work at adding additional content that many casual gamers will find appealing. You can expect to see expansive changes in the coming months adding new maps and gametypes to the Quake universe

PlanetQuake4: Currently, things are pretty hectic with the release of the beta patch and the official patch being worked on as we speak. What do you see yourself doing during less busy times at id?

SyncError: Due to my position being multifaceted, I don't expect to see any "down time". But when things aren't incredibly busy it is part of my job to be playing, so you'll be able to catch me every-so-often during work hours on a 1v1 or CTF server most likely. It's very important that I remain a member of the community and not just become a "normal" id employee. I plan on continuing to play in leagues, LAN tournaments, as well as help out with the mod and mapping community. I cannot let myself depend on one forum or merely the opinions thrown at me. It's vital that I remain an active player in all of the games id needs feedback from.

PlanetQuake4: To help make Quake4 modifications more mainstream, would id be open to advertising mods and other Quake4 enhancements on idsoftware.com and the official Quake4 site in order to show the general public what exciting add-ons Quake4 has to offer?

SyncError: Definitely, this has been in discussion since my hiring. While there is still much discussion to be had about it, you can expect to see both players and mod teams receive recognition on the idsoftware.com website. I hope to begin delivering such interviews and news reports to the company site in the near future.

Il Nonno L'avatar di Gyppi FX™

Predefinito Re: ID Staff - Nuovo membro per la Id Software di Carmack.

Hexen Third ha scritto mer, 08 marzo 2006 alle 18:05
    PlanetQuake4: To help make Quake4 modifications more mainstream, would id be open to advertising mods and other Quake4 enhancements on idsoftware.com and the official Quake4 site in order to show the general public what exciting add-ons Quake4 has to offer?

SyncError: Definitely, this has been in discussion since my hiring. While there is still much discussion to be had about it, you can expect to see both players and mod teams receive recognition on the idsoftware.com website. I hope to begin delivering such interviews and news reports to the company site in the near future.

I hope it too.

Relevart
    ospite

Beato lui, è il mio sogno lavorare per la Id Software

heXen
    ospite

è serio il ragazzo

speriamo che sia davvero valido, di sicuro non assumono a caso, devono aver avuto davvero delkle motivazioni valide , di sicuro è un'appassionato di DooM e Quake come scritto sopra, Hexen ed Heretic manco l'ombra

Relevart
    ospite

Hexen Third ha scritto mer, 08 marzo 2006 alle 19:09
    è serio il ragazzo
    Si sono serissimo

Gyppi--> <--Hexen
    @ndre--------|

é serio di sicuro, altrimenti non lo avrebbero preso

heXen
    ospite

@ndre ha scritto mer, 08 marzo 2006 alle 19:15
    [QUOTE Hexen Third ha scritto mer, 08 marzo 2006 alle 19:09 ]è serio il ragazzo
    Si sono serissimo

Gyppi--> <--Hexen
    ^
    @ndre--------|

[/quote]

mi riferivo al nuovo assunto dalla ID, mi sembra serio

Relevart
    ospite

Lo so, era solo per sperimentare la emo con i nomi;

ESPERIMENTO RIUSCITO!

Sono geniale...

heXen
    ospite

@ndre ha scritto mer, 08 marzo 2006 alle 19:19
    Lo so, era solo per sperimentare la emo con i nomi;

ESPERIMENTO RIUSCITO!

Sono geniale...

Suprema Borga Imperiale L'avatar di Blood

finalmente. era ora. Se aspettava ancora qualche anno faceva prima a non assumerlo del tutto.
    Comunque per ascoltare i pareri della comunità basterebbe aprire un forum su id.com e leggerlo di tanto in tanto. Critiche comprese. Ne esistono di modi...
    in pieno stile carmack finirà per fare sempre e comunque quello che vuole lui. Del resto non esiste sh a cui non arrivano le critiche, siano esse di riviste o di fan, e di gente illustre e con le palle ne ha lasciata a casa, no?
    Si hanno notizie del perchè Tom Hall se ne sia andato? fu un licenziamento in stile romero o cosa? ho letto qualche sua intervista recentemente e dalle frecciatine direi che non si devono essere lasciati molto bene... sbaglio?

heXen
    ospite

ad essere sincero non sono informato su questo

M.o.d.e.r.a.t.o.r.e. L'avatar di NoSf3rA†U

...altra news su Id Software,e ho deciso di postarla qui:

John Carmack Honored at Walk of Game

John Carmack and Sid Meier, the creator of Civilization, have both been awarded a star for Lifetime Achievement at the 2006 Walk of Game display, a yearly event honoring icons of the videogame industry. The cerenomy took place yesterday at San Francisco and was headlined by Nolan Bushnell, co-founder of Atari and creator of Pong. Tomb Raider's Lara Croft, StarCraft, Final Fantasy and EverQuest have also been distinguished as favorite game character/games.

Among his many accomplishments, rendering technology developed by Carmack stands at the forefront of gaming evolution. Since 1996, id Software's technology platforms, including the QUAKE series of engines and the DOOM 3 engine, have been used in nearly 100 products and accounted for more than 30 million units and well over $1 billion of game industry revenue worldwide. Game technology developed by Carmack and id Software has been used in every id Software title released as well as Half-Life, Star Wars: Jedi Knight II, Call of Duty, and many other popular games.

Through Carmack's initiative, id Software was the first company to release source code to the online community of fans - fostering and developing a group of aspiring programmers, artists and designers. id Software has freely released its entire source code base for every technology through the QUAKE III Arena engine through the General Public License.

LINK: http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2006/3/16 -36

M.o.d.e.r.a.t.o.r.e. L'avatar di NoSf3rA†U

...la news in italiano!!!

Presentate a San Francisco le nuove stelle del Walk of Game

A proposito di parallelismi tra cinema e videogiochi, qualche giorno fa si è tenuta a San Francisco l'annuale kermesse del Walk of Game.
    In sostanza, si tratta della consacrazione in pieno stile hollywoodiano di alcune star, personaggi di assoluto rilievo nel mondo dei videogiochi che proprio come le stelle del cinema avranno il loro posto nel firmamento grazie alle tipiche piastrelle in stile Walk of Fame. Ovviamente, in questo caso si parla di Walk of Game.
    La serata è stata introdotta da Nolan Bushnell, storico fondatore di Atari e creatore di Pong, da molti considerato l'inventore stesso dei videogiochi anche se la teoria è ancora piuttosto dibattuta. In ogni caso, un personaggio fondamentale nella storia dei videogiochi, che ha dato il via alle premiazioni. I personaggi e i titoli che hanno avuto l'onore di essere consacrati nella Walk of Game sono effettivamente dei mostri sacri nel settore, iniziando con Starcraft, in rappresentanza del quale erano presenti Shane Dabiri e Bob Fitch di Blizzard. Il gioco si è guadagnato la sua stella vista la grande popolarità raggiunta in tutto il mondo, stesso motivo per cui è stato premiato successivamente lo storico game designer Sid Meier, creatore della serie Civilization e nome da sempre legato alla produzione di giochi strategici per PC di grande impatto, che hanno fatto guadagnare a Meier una stella nella Walk of Game.
    Dopo Sid Meier, è stato il turno di Final Fantasy, la popolare serie di RPG Square Enix che ha raggiunto anch'essa un livello di apprezzamento tale da giustificare una stella a suo nome, ritirata dalla PR manager Sonia Im. Stessa premiazione anche per un altro RPG, in questo caso un MMORPG, ovvero EverQuest di Sony Online.
    Dopo la coppia di giochi di ruolo è stato il turno di un altro personaggio fondamentale nella storia dei videogiochi: John Carmak, technical director presso id Software e responsabile della creazione dei titoli seminali per il genere FPS come Doom e Quake.
    Ultimo riconscimento è toccato, dopo quelli conferiti a Mario, Link e Sonic durante la scorsa edizione dell'evento, ad un personaggio protagonista di un videogioco, in questo caso Lara Croft. Presente a consacrare la formosa eroina era Toby Gard, creatore del personaggio e responsabile del primo Tomb Raider, allontanatosi poi dalla serie dopo il primo capitolo e tornato al lavoro in occasione del nuovo episodio di prossima uscita Tomb Raider Legend. Ovviamente, ad interpretare la nostra tombarola preferita era presente Karima Adebibe, scelta come modella ufficiale per rappresentare Lara Croft in carne ed ossa.

Nelle foto qua sotto potete vedere John Carmack.

heXen
    ospite

Relevart
    ospite

Complimentoni a John!

+ Rispondi alla Discussione

Permessi di Scrittura

• Tu non puoi inviare nuove discussioni
  • Tu non puoi inviare risposte
  • Tu non puoi inviare allegati
  • Tu non puoi modificare i tuoi messaggi
  • Il codice BB è Attivato
  • Le faccine sono Attivato
  • Il codice [IMG] è Attivato
  • Il codice HTML è Disattivato